American documentary about our treatment method
Last year Merel was approached by American filmmaker Lana Wilson. She wanted to document the treatment method and its sudden effect on the lives of patients. She filmed several treatments of actual patients, and has now released the documentary. Thanks to producer Topic, the documentary can be watched online. It consists of 4 parts, around 15 minutes each.
Please note: the video contains images of butterflies, snakes, spiders, mice and needles.
Watch the treatment of spider phobia
In this part of the documentary Memory Hackers (Nova, 2016, available on Netflix) a few former patients of Merel Kindt share their experience with the treatment of spider phobia. Also the success of the Memrec-method to erase fear is being explained.
Please note: this video contains images of spiders and other insects.
The New York Times (2016) – “A drug to cure fear”
The Washington Post (2015) – “Overcoming the fear of spiders – in 2 minutes”
VPRO (2015) –(in Dutch) “De Volmaakte Mens,aflevering 3: Weg met de angst”
NRC Handelsblad (2013) – (in Dutch) “Moeilijk af te leren”
De Dagelijkse Standaard (2015) – (in Dutch) “Ben jij bang voor spinnen?”
The International Business Times (2015) – “Forget your fears – new way to erase phobias discovered”
NOVA (2016) – (in Dutch) uitzending “Memory Hackers”, 9 Feb 2016
Het Laatste Nieuws (Belgie, 2015) – (in Dutch) “Zo geraak je in twee minuten van je angst voor spinnen af”
The Daily Beast (2018) – “Meet the doctor curing fear with a single pill”
A selection of the scientific publications about the Memrec Method and the work of Prof. Dr. Merel Kindt
- Kindt, M. & Soeter, M. (2018). “Pharmacologically induced amnesia for learned fear is time and sleep dependent.” Nature, 9, 1316.
- Kindt, M. (2017). “The surprising subtleties of changing fear memory: a challenge for translational science.” Phil. Trans. R. Soc, B 373: 20170033.
- Soeter, M., & Kindt, M. (2015). “An abrupt transformation of phobic behavior following a post-retrieval amnesic agent.” Biological Psychiatry, 78, 880-886.
- Sevenster, D., Beckers, T. & Kindt, M. (2013). “Prediction error governs pharmacologically induced amnesia for learned fear.” Science, 339, 830-833.
- Soeter, M., & Kindt, M. (2012). “Stimulation of the noradrenergic system during memory formation impairs extinction learning but not the disruption of reconsolidation.” Neuropsychopharmacology, 37, 1204-1215.
- Kindt, M. , Soeter, M., & Vervliet, B. (2009). “Beyond extinction: Erasing human fear responses and preventing the return of fear.” Nature Neuroscience, 12, 256-258.